Vampinions

Reviewing stuff so you don't have to

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial - 'A really good movie often over-looked.'



Pros
Disgusting leathery dwarf-like creature not as terrifying as it may sound


Cons
Too many commercial interruptions





Full Review
This movie is fantastic! A pure gem. I just couldn't get enough of that cuddly little troll. I first came across this hidden treasure on TNT's the Superstation one Sun evening as I was hopping around the channels during a commercial break from Iron Chef. I missed about the first 10 or 15 minutes of the film but I'm pretty sure I got the gist of it. Apparently there's this family that moves into a house in California. Everything is going fine until one night one of the kids discovers that there is a small troll-like creature living amongst them. Eating candy, drinking all their beer and hiding out with a pack of stuffed animals. But don't worry, this isn't one of those menacing child-eating trolls like you find under bridges. This is a friendly troll who likes people and plants apparently. His name is ET which stands for Extraordinary Troll (I'm assuming). I thought the whole story was captivating! The chemistry between the boy and the monster was surprisingly charming. It was a little hard to keep track of the story as I kept flipping back to see if Iron Chef Chinese Chen Kenichi would defend his title for the third straight week in a row but I'm pretty sure I was able to follow the important bits. Supposedly ET and the kid get some sort of disease like ebola or emphysima cause they get really sick and wind up lost in the woods searching desperately for a phone so they can call home and all these doctors in contamination suits try and rescue them. But alas, for it is too late as they wind up in hospital and (*SPOILER ALERT*) ET dies. Then another commercial came on and I switched around and got caught up in Robot Wars for a bit and when I switched back the credits were rolling so I'm assuming that was the end of the movie. Kind of a bummer to end on a down note like that but I still liked it. Definitely taught me a lesson about not judging people by their appearance because they may end up being your best friend and then next thing you know *poof!* they're dead. Life is fleeting, much like ET. Thank you you crazy waddling little goblin for letting us laugh at love.

On a side note Chen Kenichi was able to pull off yet another victory by narrowly defeating the challenger in a cook-off featuring surprise theme ingredient....eggplant.

The Bottom Line
I love this film because ET drinks beer, watches TV and dresses up in ladies clothes....just like me!

2 Comments:

At May 26, 2006, 3:55:00 PM, Blogger monkeyfeather said...

Solid review Vam.

 
At Jul 10, 2006, 5:26:00 PM, Blogger Brian Coughlan said...

"2 pounds of peat moss please!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home